It was among the maximum expressions of the popular religiousness of the Bologna mountain in the past
It was built in 1535 and denominated once Blessed Virgin of the Alps Sanctuary. The legend narrates that two young shepherds, which one of them mute from the birth, were going to run their sheeps when they faced a snow storm, although it was summer. The two children were sheltered under a great maple, so during the storm it appeared the Madonna which gave the hearing and the ability to speak to the voiceless boy. Consequently, they reported that the Virgin wanted to be venerated in that place. Still today on August 5 many pilgrims participate in the Madonna party to remind that event.
The sanctuary is in harmony with the surrounding environment and rises on a previous little temple in stone that had been built for protecting the old maple (today under the greatest altar) and the original image of the Virgin apparition. The most ancient construction is the part close to the bell tower: the floor is lifted up in comparison with the rest. During the XVII and of the XVIII century the other parts and the bell tower were added, up to the conventional form.